Cultural Properties Designated by the Uji Municipal Government
Shokado Style Box Lunch, Bamboo, Camellia
|Today Japanese people may associate the name of Shokado with the Shokado style box lunch.
Shokado was a small residence built by the learned priest Shokado Shojo in the compound of a temple in Otokoyama Mountain. Shojo was born in Sakai (Osaka) and moved to Nara. He became the head of Takimoto-bo Temple in 1627 upon the death of his master, Takimoto Jitsujo. One of the great calligraphers of his age, he founded the Takimoto School of calligraphy. He was counted as one of the Three Brushes of the Kanei Era (Kanei no sampitsu), along with Honami Koetsu and Konoe Nobutada. After his retirement from the office of the head of the temple, he built the house in a nearby temple and lived in it, while he called himself Shokado Shojo.
Shojo was very talented in various fields including calligraphy, painting, waka poem and the tea ceremony. He was good friends with many cerebrated intellectuals and artists of that age. Shokado was used as a tea house and became a cultural salon in which those people gathered and exchanged.
In the early Meiji Period, all the temples on Mount Otokoyama were removed and sold under the Meiji government's policy to abolish Buddhism (haibutsu kishaku). Later the tea house was moved to Yawata Ominaesi and the garden with the tea house is now open to the public. The tea house is designated as a cultural property by the Kyoto prefectural government. Visitors to the Shokado garden can enjoy tea ceremonies, a stroll and a visit to the mound and museum in the garden.
Source: The Yawata municipal government