Typical Fujiwara Architecture
|In December 1994, the temple was registered in the UNESCO world heritage list as one of Kyoto's cultural assets. The temple was first a rural villa owned by Fujiwara Michinaga, a powerful regent and the model for the hero Genji in Tale of Genji. Then his son, regent Fujiwara Yorimichi, converted it into a temple in 1052. In the temple's compound, the Amitabha Hall was completed in 1053. Popularly known as the Hoohdo (Phoenix Hall ), it consists of a central hall, wing corridors on both sides and a tail corridor. The central hall houses an image of Amida Buddha (national treasure) carved by the famous artist Jocho. Atop the roof of the hall stand sculptures (national treasures) of mythical phoenix-like birds called hoo and inside the hall are the ornate ceiling, Buddhist images attached high on the inner wall and colorfully painted doors.
Source: The Uji municipal government
Historic Cultural Resources Map|
Return to Uji City
Return to Kansai Digital Archives Index Page
The homepage Kansai Digital Archives is managed by KIIS(Kansai Institute of Information Systems)