Haibara-cho
Sawa Castle Ruins


Muromachi Period

Approx. 525 m above sea level, on the summit of the mountain southwest of Mt. Inasa, are ruins of Sawa Castle's donjon and outworks, called "Shiroyama," in the forms of flat surfaces, earthwork and canals.
The castle was built as the headquarters for the Sawa Family, which supplied one of the three leading generals of the Uda district between 1346-1370. Its use as a castle was discontinued 200 years after its construction. The well- known Christian daimyo (feudal clan lord), Takayama Ukon, resided in this castle during his childhood.
Its importance as a medieval-age castle is apparent from the reference to it in the famous "History of Japan" authored by the Portuguese missionary, Luis Frois (ca. 1532-97).

Tourist Information

Source: The Haibara municipal government


Historic Cultural Resources Map
Return to Haibara-cho
Return to Kansai Digital Archives Index Page
The homepage Kansai Digital Archives is managed by KIIS (Kansai Institute of Information Systems)
Copyright(c) 1996 KIIS